Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It happens only in Singapore

It was just another day that we (me and my friend) finished a late night shopping and left Mustafa at around 2:30 AM. We happened to board the Comfort Taxi from Little India to Pasir Ris. It was a pleasant journey as the driver kept us updated about the happening in and around Singapore. That's when I felt thirsty and asked the driver for some water. Though he had the intention to give some water to me, he gave us something else ... a water of knowledge.

It so happens in Indonesia, that people who go to Pubs get looted black and white. They don't realize what happened and how it all happened? Its mainly targeted people who have the tendency to dance a little bit between the drinks or probably between the sips, as such Indonesia is famous for all the illegal activities. So when a person goes to the pub, he is watched ... next he is targeted. When they serve the drinks be very cautious as in who is serving it ... They tend to mix something that can intoxicate you ... make you feel giddy ... can make you lose memory (GHAJINI) Next that realize is that you have shared a condo with the laymen in the streets.
The worse one's are when you take the fresh water bottle, they tend to inject them using needles that we never realize that its already contaminated.

Finally he said, why I told you this is there are Indonesian people in Singapore as well. Some drivers belong to Indonesia and are settled here but their attitude has not changed. So beware of such people and don't take water from anyone and everyone. This is not your country India to trust everyone and consider them as your brother.

So that was the answer to my simple question, "Do you have water?"

Now as he finished the lecture we reached our destination. We both were so involved in his "Gyan Session" that we forgot ourselves completely and assured ourselves of being careful. Now I got off the cab and went to collect the luggage and asked my friend to carry rest of the items. After the tiresome shopping and the valuable travel we felt quite relaxed and we exchanged our thoughts. The time was 3:30 AM and the city was half-asleep, I saw a couple of girls stopping the taxi that we traveled for their travel needs. Something struck me that I would meet the driver again ... why ... when ... what for ??? No One KNOWS!!!

Sometime later as we were getting onto the lift, we thought of calling our other friend who was fast asleep at home. It has been a common practice to wake up people who are sleeping that too when they tend to go to the "Deep Sleep Mode" ... (I still remember how Mani used to wake up his cousin after his night shift) That's when we realized that our phones were not with us. We checked our bags, they I remembered asking my friend to collect all the stuffs from the car. So both our mobiles were left behind in the car. Apple iPOD - 3GS and Blackberry Bold 9000!!!

We didn't know what to do and where to go ... I ran ahead of him to see if the taxi was somewhere near the signals. It was a half-empty road but I saw a similar taxi little further. Assuming that to be our taxi I ran faster to et hold of him. As I reached the place the driver applied the gear and by the time he could accelerate I was there in front of the taxi. I stopped him to see if it was the same driver who dropped us a little while ago. But to our dismay it was another taxi driver from the same taxi office - Comfort. I took the number from him and ran to the nearest PCO and made a call to the Comfort office asking them to track the cab. They asked me for the mobile information and our personal information. Once we gave them, they said they would call us within few minutes after reaching the driver of the taxi. Since we didn't have an alternate mobile I had to rush back home to get my alternative mobile. They had tried reaching us in the meanwhile to give us an update regarding the mobile and the taxi driver.

Since we didnot receive the message we were so tensed, so tensed that we started to recollect what wrong had we done??? It might be just a phone, but to think that we have lost S$2000 is nothing easy to digest. In the next couple of minutes I had come down from my apartment and rushed towards the place (PCO) from where I had made the first call. Since it was a long straing road I could see a car parked near the PCO with its lights flickering. I could not resist myself from running harder. I started to thank all the stars and GOD of course when I looked up. Yes I saw the same taxi ... the taxi driver was waiting for us ... He taught us another lesson ... Be Careful, not everyone in this world are like me to return your stuffs back to you ... You must be really LUCKY to have them back.

I called the Comfort office and thanked them as well as the driver. They asked me to about the incident and gave kudos to driver for his genuineness. As we walked back, we thought for a moment ... what if I had lost else where ... well my track record of losing mobiles would have gone up by 1 to 6 ... I should have lost my previous mobiles in similar circumstances and there people made use of the opportunity and here stands a man who has driven back to give our possessions. Well ... well ... It happens only in Singapore!!!

3 comments:

  1. Eppadi machi unnala mattum mudiyidhu. Idhellam nee plan panni panriya?? I think you are the 'CHOSEN ONE' for these kind of stunts.

    Now I may have to plan for a part 2 when I write a biography on your life...b'cos one book is not enough...ha...ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr.Justin...unga Meesaya pathu avaru bayandhu iruparu!! Good job anyway in running from signal to signal..to catch the taxi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Maddy: Heard of the saying, when it happens it happens all at once.

    ReplyDelete